A three-part radio documentary
Written by Asad Ismi
Produced by Kristin Schwartz
Narrated by both
All interviews conducted by Asad Ismi or Kristin Schwartz except with Matilde Lopez Arpushana conducted by Audrey Huntley for this documentary. Translation by Susy Alvarez Pocasangre and Dr. Maria Paez Victor.
Special thanks to Audrey Huntley, Susy Alvarez Pocasangre and Dr. Maria Paez Victor.
Starting six centuries ago, the Western male elite has built a viciously patriarchal world by making war on women and exploiting them mercilessly. The profits of the global capitalist system have been made possible by the genocide and plunder of women.
Our seventh radio documentary is about how women have been colonized by men and the many ways in which they resist this. Released on October 7, 2016.
The series can be heard and downloaded from the Community Radio Exchange of the National Campus/Community Radio Association. Click here for the program, and thank you for listening.
Episodes: (less than 30 minutes each)
- A History of Male Violence focuses on the witch hunts, slavery in the Caribbean, the Congo War and the killing of Indigenous women and shows how this violence arises from the determination of men to maximize their wealth. With Tamarra James, Alissa Trotz, Bodia Bavuidi, Tanya Kappo, Margaret Alexander, Angie Umbac and Veronica Gago.
- Endless Exploitation highlights sex trafficking, sex work, garment workers, low-wage employment and housework to reveal how women create most of the world’s wealth which is stolen from them by a male elite. With Anuradha Koirala, Chanelle Gallant, Kalpona Akter, Deena Ladd and Selma James.
- A World Without Patriarchy: Women speak about matriarchy, equality between the sexes and their resistance to male domination. With Dr. Heide Goettner-Abendroth, Matilde Lopez Arpushana, Dr. Maria Paez Victor, Marcela Romero, Terri-Jean Bedford, Tamarra James, Kalpona Akter and Selma James.
Women: The Oppressed Majority has been aired on 60 radio stations in Canada, the United States and Europe starting on January 11, reaching about 35 million people. Fifty of these radio stations are part of the Pacifica Radio Network in the U.S. which has also aired the documentary on a European radio station, and nine of the stations are Canadian (see list of radio stations below).
Pacifica Radio is the biggest progressive radio network in North America and Women: The Oppressed Majority has been syndicated on its weekly show “Sprouts”. The documentary was broadcast on January 11, February 1 and February 7, 2017, to support the Women’s March on Washington D.C. on January 21, 2017 which was organized to protest the presidential inauguration of Donald Trump who is misogynist, racist and fascist. Hundreds of Canadian women and men went to Washington for this historic march. We are honoured to contribute to our U.S. and Canadian sisters’ struggle against this unacceptable man and his assaults on women’s rights.
We are also honoured that Women:The Oppressed Majority has been chosen by the Women’s International News Gathering Service (WINGS) for distribution to 225 radio stations around the world. WINGS is an all-woman independent radio production company that produces and distributes news and current affairs programs by and about women around the world. (See review below).
With airplay on 60 Canadian, U.S. and European stations for Women: The Oppressed Majority, we have broken our previous record of 42 stations which aired our sixth radio documentary Capitalism is the Crisis (2013) making Women our most popular documentary yet.
To obtain a CD copy of the documentary contact Asad at this email: <email@example.com> or Kristin at <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Women: The Oppressed Majority was aired on these 60 United States, Canadian and European radio stations in January-March 2017:
- KPFK 90.7 FM–Los Angeles, 98.7 FM–Santa Barbara, 99.5 FM–China Lake and 93.7 FM–North San Diego, California.
- KCSB 91.9 FM–University of California, Santa Barbara, California
- KDVS 90.3 FM—University of California, Davis, California
- KDRT 95.7 FM–Davis, California
- KIDE 91.3 FM–Hoopa, California–Indigenous Radio
- Free Radio Santa Cruz 101.1 FM–Santa Cruz, California
- KMEC 105.1 FM—Ukiah, California
- KWTF 88.1 FM–Bodega Bay/Santa Rosa, California
- KYBU 96.9 FM—Covelo, California
- WDFH 90.3 FM–Ossining, New York
- WRFI 88.1 FM—Ithaca, New York
- WOOL 91.5 FM—Bellows Falls, Vermont
- WXOJ-LP 103.3 FM–Valley Free Radio, Northampton, Massachusetts
- WUMD 89.3 FM—University of Massachusetts Radio, North Dartmouth, Massachusetts
- WAZU 90.7 FM—Peoria, Illinois
- WDRT 91.9 FM—Viroqua, Wisconsin
- WRNC 97.7 FM—Northland College Radio, Ashland, Wisconsin
- WERU-FM 89.9–Blue Hill and East Orland, Maine
- WMPG 90.9 FM—University of Maine, Portland, Maine
- WPRR 1680 AM and 95.3 FM–Public Reality Radio–Grand Rapids, Michigan
- KPFT 90.1 FM–Houston, Texas
- KEOS 89.1 FM—Bryan, Texas
- KFAI 90.3 FM–Minneapolis and 106.7 FM St. Paul, Minnesota
- KTWH 99.5 FM—Two Harbours, Minnesota
- WCRS 102.1 and 98.3 FM–Columbus, Ohio
- WGRN 94.1 FM—Columbus, Ohio
- KHOI 89.1 FM—Ames, Iowa
- KGNU 88.5 FM–Boulder, 1390 AM–Denver, 93.7 FM–Nederland, Colorado
- KSVR 91.7 FM–Mt Vernon, Washington
- KYRS 92.3 FM–Spokane, Washington
- KOWA 106.5 FM—Olympia, Washington
- KAOS 89.3 FM—Evergreen State College Radio, Olympia, Washington
- KPOV 106.7 FM–Bend, Oregon
- KSKQ 94.9 FM–Ashland, Oregon
- KXCR 90.7 FM—Florence, Oregon
- KYAQ 91.7 FM—Newport, Oregon
- KRFP-LP 92.5 FM–Radio Free Moscow, Moscow, Idaho
- Boise Community Radio 89.9 FM–Boise, Idaho
- KSUA 91.5 FM–University of Alaska Radio, Fairbanks, Alaska
- KWMD 104.5 & 87.74 FM-Anchorage, 90.7 FM-Kasilof, 107.9 FM-Mat-Su, Alaska
- KRCL 90.9 FM–Salt Lake City, Utah
- WHYR 96.9 FM—Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- WRFN-LP 98.9 FM–Radio Free Nashville, Tennessee
- KKFI 90.1 FM–Kansas City, Missouri
- KZGM 88.1 FM–Cabool, Missouri
- MAIN-FM 103.5 LP–Asheville, North Carolina
- Journey Radio–www.thejourneyradio.org–St. Louis, Missouri (internet radio)
- Radio Phoenix–www.radiophoenix.org–Phoenix, Arizona (internet radio)
- Geneva Community Radio– http://genevaradio.blogspot.ca/p/about-gcr.html–Geneva, New York (internet radio)
- Your World News–http://yourworldnews.org/index.php?p=1_3_Radio-Show—-Washington D.C. (internet radio)
- CKUT 90.3 FM–McGill University Radio, Montreal, Quebec
- CKDU 88.1 FM—Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- CITR 101.9 FM—University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia
- CHLY 101.7 FM—Radio Malaspina—Vancouver Island University Radio (Malaspina Campus), Nanaimo, British Columbia
- CILU 102.7 FM—Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Ontario
- CFRC 101.9 FM—Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario
- CKUW 95.9 FM–University of Winnipeg, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- CFUV 101.9 FM–University of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia
- CJSF 90.1 FM–Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, British Columbia
60. Radio LoRa 97.5 MHz–Zurich
The series Women, the Oppressed Majority, is an epic pass through millennia of ignored history, grasping patterns that still pertain to women’s struggles today.
—-Frieda Werden, co-founder and executive producer of the weekly radio series WINGS: Women’s International News Gathering Service, which has been in weekly syndication for more than twenty-seven years.
Women: The Oppressed Majority was funded by:
Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW)–National
CUPW Local 576–North Bay
Public Service Alliance of Canada
Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU)
OPSEU Local 556
Ontario Secondary School Teachers Federation
Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE)–National
CUPE Local 4400
CUPE Local 3903
CUPE Local 1281
Ontario English Catholic Teachers Association
Canadian Labour Congress
Toronto and York Region Labour Council
Dr. Mimi Ismi
Ontario Public Interest Research Group (OPIRG)–Toronto